Our Mission NED is an organization of Student Councils in the Northeast region of Illinois focused on furthering participation and develop leadership through the many activities hosted by NED, its member schools, and the IASC. It is composed of 139 schools. NED covers the northeast quarter of Illinois, excluding Chicagoland. NED creates learning opportunities for ideas and events while having interactions with other schools in Illinois. NED is one of 13 districts that represents Illinois Student Councils as part of the IASC. Our History The Northeast District was founded in 1936 with the first District Convention in Winnetka, Illinois. It was then known as the Northern Winnetka District. The organization grew and eventually formed the Northeastern District (NED) of the Ilinois Association of Student Councils (IASC). Its constitution was adopted in 1939.
Because only seven schools were a part of the Northwest District (NWD) in 1945, the South Board felt that a consolidation of the two districts would benefit both. In 1947, the State Board approved the proposed consolidation of the NED and the NWD. After the NED schools approved the merger, the districts were to remain joined until the NWD could again be reactivated. The NE-NWD held its first convention at J. Sterling Morton High School in 1948. The revised Constitution for the district was presented and approved at the Convnetion on November 19, 1949.
Still combined, the NE-NWD had a large variety of member schools. The urban schools from Chicago, the surburban insitutions around the city, and the rural schools no longer had commen problems which could be solved through district cooperation. The State Board approved a break which allowed the Chicago schools to form their own district in 1956. At the 1962 Convention, it was finally decided to redistrict the NE-NWD along the county lines. In January 1963, the State board approved the district's request for seperation. During the 1963 Convention, two sets of officers were elected, one set for each district.
The new Constitution for the NED was adopted by the member schools in 1965. At the 1970 Convnetion at Oak Park-River Forest High School, the Constitution was ammended. At the 1974 Convention, held at Lyons Township High School, a plan was presented with a time-table of events to explore the possibility of combining the Prarie Eight District with the NED and forming three districts from two. The proposal failed. The 1976 Convention, by Constitutional amendment, eliminated the officersof the Second Vice President Advisor at Large, but added the offices od Newsletter Editor, and his/her Advisor.
The State Board, in February 1978, approved the split of NED. Schools in the Lake and DuPage counties, and those suburban Cook County north of the interstate 55 remained in the NED; schools south of interstate 55 in surburban Cook County formed the South Surburban District (SSD). A dual Convention was held at Elk Grove High School on November 11, 1978, and two sets of officers were elected.
In the fall of 1983, the South Suburban Distict petitioned to return to the Northeast District. At the December Board Meeting of 1983, the NED approved the rejoining, pending the State Board's approval. The IASC Executive Board approved the rejoining at the 1984 February Board Meeting, to take affect on April 30, at the conclusion of the State Convention.
In the fall of 1987, Waubonsie Valley High School petitioned to return to the Northeast Central District and became a member of the NED. the NCD approved departure, and the NED approved the addition in the winter of 1987. The IASC gave its approval at the January 1988 Board Meeting. at the 1988 NED Convention at Thornwood High School, Waubonsie Valley became an offical member of the NED. Currenty the NED lists 141 possible member schools within its boundries. Finally, at the 1997 NED Convention, held at Homewood-Flossmoor High School, the Constitution was amended and the boundaries were established to their present form.